Recently in Matt's Vest Category

This page is a archive of recent entries in the Matt's Vest category.

MagKnits is the previous category.

Nothing Important is the next category.

He Likes It

I think that Matt is quite happy with the vest:

Mattinvest

Personally, I think that the armholes are a little long, but the wearer disagrees with me, so they'll stay.  I love the simplicity and color of this garment.

The details:

Pattern:  the vest in Ann Budd's The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns.

Yarn:  Heirloom Easy Care 8-Ply (10+ skeins), shade: 727

Needles:  US 6

Gauge: 5.5 sts/in and 7 rows/in

What I changed: not much.  The pattern's structure builds in opportunities to make modifications.  I used an i-cord edging for the V-neck, and a modified i-cord edging for the armholes.  I reinforced the back neck by picking up and immediately binding off stitches.

Going Nutty

Yes, I went a little nutty on this vest--in a few different ways.  I pushed ahead, got myself to the V-neck shaping, and couldn't control myself:

Blockmebaby

It's finished and blocking!  I was planning to write a post about the V-neck shaping, but you all know what a knit in progress looks like, so let's just cut to the chase.

Here's a closeup on both Kathy's modified i-cord edging, and Annie Modesitt's i-cord edging:

Kathyedge

Modified, a very simple flat edge.
Row 1 (RS): K1, wyif sl1, k1, work to last 3 sts, k1, wyif sk1, k1
Row 2 (WS): wyif sl1, k1, wyif sl1, work to last 3 sts, wyif sl1, k1, wyif sl1

Annieedging

Annie's
Row 1 (RS): K1, wyif sl1, k1, p2, work to last 5 sts, p2, k1, wyif sk1, k1
Row 2 (WS): wyif sl1, k1, wyif sl1, k2, work to last 5 sts, k2, wyif sl1, k1, wyif sl1

For future reference, the two complement each other, and because the edging is knit as you go, there's no need to go back and pick up stitches.  I like that.

Armholes!

I am speeding along on the front of Matt's vest.  I'm up to the armholes:

Morearmholeshaping

Once again, I am incredibly pleased with this armhole shaping technique.  It looks much more finished than anything that I've done in the past.  I'm keeping the armhole edges very simple, using Grumperina's modified i-cord edging:

Row 1 (RS): K1, with yarn in front Sl1, K1, K to last three stitches, K1, with yarn in front Sl1, K1.
Row 2 (WS): With yarn in front Sl1, K1, with yarn in front Sl1, P to last three stitches, with yarn in front Sl1, K1, with yarn in front Sl1.

Happy Labor Day, everyone!  I don't want to say to much, but as a reward for making it all the way to the bottom of this post on a holiday, I will tell you to expect an FO post this week :-).

Back to the knitting!

Progress

After only a couple of days of knitting I am speeding along on the front of Matt's vest.

Stockinetteblock

Yeah, it looks like a big block of curling stockinette.

I've set a goal for next week: finishing frenzy.  I have Baccarat, a little headband thing, and this vest that will all require seaming.  That means I need to get to the interesting part of the front-- the V-neck shaping--soon!  I'm knitting like a fiend: five inches a day!  Don't ask me how long I can keep up this pace :-).

Front!

So, I finished the back of Matt's vest, did a little dance, and got right back to work.  I cast on for the front.

Needledee

When I cast on, I did something new.  I placed stitch markers every ten stitches.  This way, I only needed to count to ten, something that even I can do with relative ease.

A lot of you do this when you're casting on a large amount of stitches, for something like a lace shawl.  Perhaps I'm just getting warmed up!


Previous | List | Next


(Viva Knitsmiths South!)

Knitting Bloggers
Previous | Next